Cendol Indonesian Jelly Drink
Serving for 8 Persons
Cendol is a traditional jelly drink as a dessert. It made from shaved ice, coconut milk, green starched with pandan flavouring and palm sugar. In Switzerland it is a little bit hard to find this dessert, so i decided to make my own cendol at home. Well i was surprised to make this dessert it is not difficult at all!
If you like to explore new recipes like me or miss cendol or even wanna try the taste, why don’t you try to make it by yourself?
- 100 gr Rice flour
- 10 gr Tapioca flour
- 1/2 tsp of Salt
- 4 tbsp Granulated Sugar
- 1 sdm Vanilla extract
- 630 ml Water from Pandan leaves
- Half Basin of Ice water
- Cendol mold or you can use Spätzlihobel.
Palm Sugar Syrup
- 1000 ml Coconut milk
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 3 Pandan leaves
How to make it
- To obtain pandan juice, chop about 15 pandan leaves and blend them in an electric blender with 600 ml water use a colander to squeeze out the juice. (throw the leaves away, in this case we just need the water), then devide into 2 cups first juice is 400 ml & second juice is 230 ml. (If you can’t find Pandan leaves at your place, you may substitute with Aroma Pandan paste that you can buy at any Asian Shop).
- Pour the first juice (400 ml) pandan juice to the pan & let it boil in a low-medium heat.
- Meawhile pour the second juice (230 ml) into the bowl. Then add rice flour, tapioca flour, sugar, vanilla & salt. Stir the mixture into a smooth batter.
- When the first juice is boiled, add the second juice to the pan, stirring all the time until the mixture is transparant and thick then emove immediately from the heat.
- Prepare a cendol mold over a basin half-filled with ice-cold water. Put the cooked mixture on top of the mold & press it through to form little droplets of cendol.
Leave the cendol in the ice water until it’s firm & hard. Then add more ice cubes to the water to set the cendol faster. Drain in a colander and refrigerate the cendol till ready to use.To prepare the palm sugar syrup
For the coconut milk
- Boil palm sugar, water and Pandan leaves until the sugar and the leaves dissolve completely. Strain and allow to cool completely.
- Boil the coconut milk, add a pinch of salt & pandan leaves, keep stirring all the time once it is boiling, remove it from the heat & allow to cool down.
- Add some crushed ice into a glass
- Add approx. 2 tbsp palm sugar syrup.
- Add the desired amount of cendol into the glass
- Pour some coconut milk.
- Now your cendol is ready to drink!
Enjoy! En Guete! Selamat Makan!