Classic Cantuccini Biscoti/ Biscotti di Proto
Cantuccini known as Biscotti di Proto. The biscuits are oblong-shaped almond biscuits, made dry and crunchy through cutting the loaf of dough while its still hot and fresh from baking in the oven.
Biscotti re-emerged in Tuscany, credited to a Tuscan baker who served them with the local sweet wine. The crunchy texture was deemed to be the perfect medium to soak up the wine. Can you imagine?! But even centuries later, many still agree that dipping biscotti into Vin Santo is a perfect way to end a meal, or to while away an hour at a café.
Cantucci di Prato can be found in the window of every pasticceria in Tuscany. Cantucci became a staple in the Tuscan cities of Florence and Prato, and spread throughout the Italian peninsula.
- 350 gr All Purpose Flour
- 250 gr Granulated Sugar
- 3 Eggs
- 250 gr Whole Almonds
- 4 gr Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Almond Essence
- 1 Egg Yolk, Beaten for greasing
How to Make it
- Ingredients A : Combine the flour, sugar, baking powder & salt in a large bowl. Mix well all the ingredients.
- Ingredients B : Mix eggs & almond essence in another bowl.
- Then pour Ingredients B to Ingredients A mix it until the dough is stiff. (Do not over mix) then pour the almonds into the dough & mix well
- Preheat the oven to
- Flour the board heavily then dump the sticky dough, knead it until all comes together. Divide it in to 3 equal inches. Roll each piece into a cylinder about 12 inches long. Press gently with the palm of your hands to make the dough flatten & that they are about 2 inches wide.(just make sure you dust it with flour, to keep away the dough from sticking). Place the dough into the prepared baking sheet. Also make sure that they are not too close to each.
- Place the dough into the oven until it is firm. Test it with a fingertip. Dont burn yourself!
- After 30 minutes, take out the dough from the oven & transfer to a cutting board and let it cool down. Let the oven temperature at 180°C (356F).
- When the dough has cooled down, slice them into diagonal slices. About ½ inch thick. Arrange the slices on the baking sheets, laying cut side down.
- Then return it back to the oven and bake for 10 minutes. After that, turn the logs over and rotate the baking sheets and bake for another 10 minutes or until golden brown.
- Let it cool in the oven, before you transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
Tip : You may keep it up to a few weeks in a seal container/tupperware & at room temperature.
Enjoy! En Guete! Selamat Makan!