23. February 2014
Pepes Tahu dengan Teri Medan/ Steam Tofu with Salty Fish
- 250 gr Firm White Tofu, wash & mashed until soft
- 100 gr Anchovies
- 1 Egg
- 60 gr Basil Leaves
- Fresh Bay Leaves
- Banana Leaves, to wrap (cut into 20cm x 25cm, clean both side damp towel)
- Toothpicks, each toothpick divide by 2
- 4 Red Chillies, depending on your taste
- 2 Big Shallots/ 5 Small Shallots
- 3 Cloves of Garlic
- 2 Candlenuts
- 1/4 tsp Ground Turmeric
- Salt & Pepper as your taste
How to Make:
- Mash the Tofu in a bowl with a fork until the big lumps are gone.
- Ground the shallots, garlic, candlenuts, chilies in a mortar pestle/in a food processors until smooth.
- Mix the mashed tofu with Anchovies, egg, basil leaves, ground spices, ground turmeric, salt & pepper. Last but not least, add the sliced chilies to enhance the flavor.
- Prepare the banana leaves and place one or two bay leaves in the center of it. Then place 1-2 scoops of tofu mixture on top of the bay leaf and wrap it nicely to avoid leakage. Close both edge using toothpicks or clipper. Your “Pepes” is now ready for te last step.
- Prepare a steamer. Place the Pepes inside the steamer and cook it for about 30 minutes.
Note :1. Open up the wrap & enjoy it while its still hot. It is best served together with steamed rice. In Bali people put coconut milk to make it even more tastier.2. By Traditional method is always using banana leaves to wrap Pepes (the ingredients), but sometimes you may find it hard to find fresh banana leaves at the nearest Supermarket or you have to go to Asian Grocery Stores to find them. To make it easier, you may replace banana leaves with alluminium foil. Of course the taste wont be that original.
Enjoy! En Guete! Selamat Makan!