30. May 2012
Spring Roll/ Lumpia
Serve for 15 pieces
- Cooking oil, for deep-frying
- 1 Bouillon cube
- 15 Sheets Spring Roll Skin
- 3 Cloves Garlic, minced
- 1 tsp Ginger, grated
- 2 Carrots, cut julienned
- 20 gr Mu-Err (mushroom). Soak in a warrm water for 30 minutes, drained & finely chopped.
- 2 stalks Spring onion, finely chopped
- 500 gr of RiceVermicelli, pour boiling water & drained
- 1 tsp Fish Sauce
- 1 tbsp Sesame oil sauce
- 4-5 tbsp of Salty soy Sauce
- 1 White Egg
- ½ tsp five-spice powder (you can substitute with royco/aromat)
- salt & pepper, just to taste
How to make it
- Rice vermicelli: Add 1 bouillon cube in hot boiling water, 2 tbsp salty soy sauce & Rice Vermicelli. Once it turns soft, drained it in a colander. Set aside to cool for 20 minutes.
- Heat 2 tbsp of oil in a wok, sautee carrots & Mu-Err mushrooms and stir-fry for 3-5 minutes. Season with salty soy sauce and five-spice powder/aromat. Then remove from the wok and set aside to cool for ten minutes.
- Separate the Spring Rollb sheets from each other & cover them with a damp tea towel to prevent from drying. Place the grated garlic in a big bowl, grated ginger, spring onion, the mixture of carrots & mushrooms. Then season with sesame oil, salty soy sauce, fish sauce, a pinch of aromat, salt & pepper just to taste. Stir well until well combined.
- Place a wrapper on a dry board & spoon 1 tablespoon of the filling onto wrapper near the bottom corner.
- Cover it with the down corner and bring the two opposite corners together.
- Bring the bottom corner towards the middle and then roll the pastry up tightly towards the top corner. Tuck the top edge in and seal it with a little of the beaten egg white. Cover it with a damp tea towel. Repeat with remaining wrappers, filling and white egg. (Note : If you want to keep some in future, keep the extra spring rolls in a plastic bag & put it in freezer.)
- Heat oil in a wok over medium-high heat and fill the wok to a quarter of its depth with vegetable oil. Be careful when you lower the spring rolls into the oil and deep-fry for 5-8 minutes or until golden-brown. The oil should be very hot. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain it with kitchen paper.
- Transfer the spring rolls on a plate and serve. Add some sweet chili sauce.
Enjoy! En Guete! Selamat Makan!